This week I’m exploring turning art quilts into glass quilts. I took a class a couple years ago, but have not had a chance to put into practice what I learned.
There’s quite a bit to the process – learning how to mix my own mold material (I get to use a power drill!!) making sure all the edges are secure to avoid weird bubbles, and decorating the mold with the colors needed to highlight the quilting.
Safety First! No need to breath this stuff in or get it in my eyes. So I’m donning a very fashionable mask and glasses today in the studio.
Yesterday I prepared the quilt surface (which was treated last week with Stiffy) by securing it with hot glue. I forgot to take pictures of that process. Needless to say, the quilt piece is useless as a piece of fabric, but potentially reusable.
Then I built walls around the piece to hold in the mold material. Today after mixing the material, I poured and waited for it to settle and cure to a point where I could pull out the quilt.
Not terribly pretty, but at this stage that’s not what I’m going for. I’m just hopeful I left enough room around the art quilt to make the mold strong enough for the casting stage.
After about 1/2 hour, the material was ready to monkey with. I pulled off the sides, and carefully pulled the quilt off of the styro base it was glued to. And VOILA! A mold of an art quilt:
Interesting how the color from the red material leeched into the mold mix! At this point I can add the glass and pop it into the kiln. But the kiln has a plate in it, so I’m not in a big rush. I’ll start filling in the glass this afternoon and maybe tomorrow I can cast it.
Stay tuned, cross your fingers!